8 years ago today a producer met a pizza boy, they kissed and their lives were changed forever.
Every May I do a mix to commemorate my love affair with Bloghungry. It's a journal entry mix, a bunch of songs that tell the story I want to tell at this moment in time, reflective of this time in our lives but also looking back, forwards, sideways... Oh, and this is not a Boom Boom compilation, there is dance music on here, but you're going to have to feel the slow build to get there, this is an Concerto in 3 Movements and song order and pacing is vital to the story.
Happy 8th Papa, love u.
DOWNLOAD: "MAY 8" [.ZIP]
For the Liner Notes (my thoughts on the tracks, click below...)
1. PapaDaddyPapaDaddy - How Lily refers to us when she needs both our attention.
2. When You Were Young - "You sit there in your heartache waiting on some beautiful boy to save you from your old ways... watch it now here he comes."
3. Shell Games - My return to love of Bright Eyes, what a beautiful (and accessible) track.
4. No One's Gonna Love You - Cee-Lo transforms this Band Of Horses break-up ballad into a desperate love song. He is really everything these days isn't he? Sentiment is pretty obvious in the lyric.
5. Half Mast - 70's ELO flavor.
6. Houdini - Just obsessed with this song right now, this month, at this moment.
7. Rude Boy - We went through this crazy "Rihanna is the only female artist ever" moment in our household, which of course passed sort of quickly, but if you go deep into her tracks she is crafting incredibly intricate island influenced amazingness. Also of all the FILTHY pop songs released in the past few years this one is my favorite.
8. Daddy's Home - This is how I get down (in case you are wondering.) "You just put that bottom..." What? Just cause I'm Daddy doesn't mean I'm dead.
9. Ribbon - I understand why Mariah (or her label) shut down this Jumpsmoker's remix CD, it wasn't the right move for her at the time, but find and d'load the bootleg, it's brilliant. And this track, which I had no love for on the original I LOVE here with this sleazy beat behind it.
10. Walking On The Moon - Love the original The Dream version and really love this mash-up mix, which feels very Tracy "It's All True" to me. LOVE!
11. I Got You - The only proper House / dance song on here - for a reason - THIS SONG STANDS ALONE!!! Absolutely life changing Boom Boom. The sweet vocal and sweet lyrics, the Hi-NRG instrumental it's bananas!
12. What's My Name - I jumped on this song's train very late, and I have a feeling many of you avoided it all together. Do me a favor, put it on LOUD with headphones, close your eyes, sway your head side to side SLOWLY, and surrender to the rhythm. The last 15 seconds are so elegant.
13. Blackberry Molasses - Remember this one? No? Well you should. Serving ATL soundtrack realness honey. Look, not every moment in this life is easy, but it's nice to know that some things are constant and reliable like Blackberry Molasses (and my man).
14. Stars 4-Ever - My second favorite Robyn track off the Body Talk Sessions. (I'm sad they are over aren't you?) This one is dedicated to those of you who have come to know us through our little blogs and been so kind, faithful, and supportive over the years.
15. Love Always Remains - For Lily, a true product of our love for each other, so much more so than a couple who just bang and have a kid. (Sorry, that's how I see it.) LYRIC!!! "And the ocean and sun are always there, to make you happy if you're feeling scared of the darkness."